Thursday, August 18, 2011

The God of Earliest Genesis

Today I visit the part of the world that most convinces me of the existence of a Creator God, a Creator God who has a quirky imagination and a child's sense of play and delight.

I'm off for a day trip to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, one of the few parks that's almost completely underwater.  It's a protected marine reserve, where we can swim without fear of the fisherfolk and their hooks.

I love the undersea world, but it makes me sad to visit too.  We don't know how long we'll have the coral reefs, but the outlook isn't good.  Between rising ocean temperatures and increasing acidity of the water, we'll likely only have them for a few more decades.

I'd like to see a glacier, too, before they vanish.  But glaciers aren't in my backyard.

So, off I go, to swim with the fish, to pretend I'm a mermaid.  I'll strap equipment on my back that will let me stay awhile, but only a short while.  I'll return to the boat with a sense of wonder, and I'll say, "Great show, God!"

No comments: