Monday, January 16, 2012

Arcing Toward Justice

I've written about Martin Luther King numerous times before, and today, I've written this post about MLK and nonviolent resistance for the Living Lutheran website.

My creativity blog has this post with some additional links to some of my previous writing about MLK, along with a poem.

I also write about saints on this theology blog periodically, which leads me to wonder if MLK will ever be canonized.  I could make the case that the Civil Rights legislation of the 1960's was proof of miracles that we can attribute to MLK.  My thoughts in this direction make me think about what the feast day of Martin Luther King would look like.

Well, we already have a glimpse of that, don't we?  Some communities would have parades, while others would engage in social justice projects.  We would sing songs like "This Little Light of Mine" and "We Shall Overcome."  We'd remind each other not to let evil turn us around.

So, on this day where we honor the dreams, both realized and yet-to-come-true, of both Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement, let's continue to dream of justice, to determine that we will continue to work towards that vision of a day when we'll be judged on the content of our character.  Let's continue the spiritual formation of having a character that's worthy.

No comments: