Tuesday, October 2, 2012

St. Jerome and Issues of Connectivity and Creativity

My post on St. Jerome has been published at the Living Lutheran website.  Go here to read it.

As is often the case, I learn a lot when I write these pieces.  Being a good Lutheran, I always think of Martin Luther as being the first to translate the Bible into a common language that all could read.  I'm wrong.  Hundreds of years earlier, Jerome translated the Bible into Vulgate Latin.

I see that translation as his most important contribution, but he was one of the more prolific writers of his generation.  I think of all the resources that I have right at my fingertips.  I think of the computer, which makes my writing more speedy.  But I probably cannot hope to match the output of Jerome.

Yesterday was one of those days when I felt a bit frazzled and hectic at work.  It's probably time to take my own advice:  "As we celebrate the life of St. Jerome, it’s a good day to think about how to apply the lessons of his life to our own. Maybe we need an ascetic plan to face our daily lives; we could experiment with less technology and more listening for God. Maybe we need periodic retreats so that we can recalibrate and focus on what’s important."

I wrote that chunk of text just 12 hours before my phones would die, which would leave me disconnected.  As I wrote in yesterday's post, at first I felt annoyed, but as the week-end progressed, I felt liberated.

It's relatively easy to disconnect at home.  It's harder to disconnect on the job.  What ascetic practices could I adopt to help in that arena?

Hmm--stay tuned!




No comments: