Saturday, August 31, 2013

Installing Our Bishop

It seems like a very long time ago that we elected a new bishop to lead our Synod.

In some ways, it has been a long time.  We gathered in early May, and here it is, almost September.  In the meantime, our national assembly has elected a woman as the head of the whole ELCA.   Yes, a female bishop.

We had several female candidates for bishop for the Florida-Bahamas Synod back in May, but in the end, we elected a man.  Happily, I liked him very much.  Happily, I felt the same way about all the candidates:  they all seemed quite capable and quite inspired.  I came away still not sure of specific plans, but I also think that one can't determine specific plans until one is actually in the job.

So today, almost 4 months later, we install our new bishop.  We've all been invited, but I won't be going, even though I'm mildly interested.  It will be at least a 6 hour drive to get to the church where the installation is happening.  That's a lot of gas money, not to mention the time it will take, and the resulting exhaustion.

No, I will stay put right here.  I will pray for our new Bishop.  I will sort through my cloth for our quilting table at our September 8 work day at the church to celebrate 25 years of being the ELCA.  I will try to be mindful throughout the day as I look for other ways to serve.

I will pray for our new Synod bishop, and I will pray for our ELCA bishop.  I will pray for the Church, both the ELCA and all Christians.  I'm an ecumenical gal, so I will also be praying for my brothers and sisters who worship the Divine in different ways.

No comments: