Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Feast Day of the Assumption of Mary

Today is the feast day that celebrates the Assumption of Mary into Heaven.  I have a piece up at Living Lutheran.  It's different from what I usually write.  I decided to compose it as a sort of prayer, asking that I may be granted some of the qualities that Mary had.

Go here to read the whole thing.  But in the mean time . . .

Here are some quotes to whet your appetite.

When God’s angels call on me, let me be hospitable, like Mary was.  Let me listen to what Divine agents have to say.  I have a tendency to be overly controlling.  For the rest of this year, let me practice being quiet.  Like Mary, let me hold things and ponder them in my heart.

Let my heart be like Mary’s, susceptible to being broken wide open.  Many of us say no to God because we’re so afraid of the possibility that sorrow will follow.  Let me remember that salvation often comes in the arms of sorrow.

Let me recognize the Elizabeths in my life.  Let me honor the older generation who has gone before me.  Give me the wisdom to seek out each and every Elizabeth who would be happy to see me.

No comments: