Friday, May 9, 2014

Longing for Silence

Yesterday I wrote about Julian of Norwich (see this post and this post).  It's been an unusually noisy week, both at work and in my neighborhood--and in my head.

I find myself yearning for the calm that comes in the best sacred spaces.  I find myself longing for a cathedral cell.  I want to believe I'd be more creative if I could just find quiet.  I'd certainly be less irritable.



So, let me see if I can manufacture a virtual experience of the calm that comes with sacred space.



Each of these pictures shows the worship space at Mepkin Abbey in a different year.



I thought it would be interesting to see the flower/plant arrangements from different times.  Maybe in my regular life, which doesn't include multiple daily trips to a sacred space, I could find some quiet relief in nature.  Or, if not in nature, then in flowers that I bring inside.

No comments: