Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Morning Before Yom Kippur

Yom Kippur begins at sunset today--the highest, holiest day of the Jewish calendar, at least as I understand it.

I've always been intrigued by other people's holidays.  I wish I could say that my interest inspires a deeper appreciation of my own holidays, but that's not always the case.

I've written a post that explores these ideas, and today it's up at the Living Lutheran site.  Go here to read it.

Here are some quotes to whet your appetite:

"As a child, I disliked belonging to what I considered to be an easy religion. I wanted kosher laws that I would struggle to keep. I wanted to do penance for all my sins. The concept of grace left me uneasy."

"The idea of a period of intense introspection enchants me. I also like the idea that it ends. Immersing myself in a period of repenting and atoning, fasting and prayer – that idea has enormous appeal. The idea that God seals the book, absolves us, and we go back to regular life also appeals to me. Most humans can't live in that kind of intense self-awareness and repentance for too long."

"So, this today, as my Jewish friends immerse themselves in this holy time, and as I go about my regular life, I'll try to remember to think about God and that Book of Life. I'll think about my current life and where I need some change in its trajectory. I'll pray for all of us who are engaged in a similar time of introspection."

No comments: