Monday, May 2, 2016

What if God Needs Us to Appreciate/Create Beauty?

My friend Vonda Drees recently published this image on Instagram:



She wrote this about it:

"‪#‎Senses‬ are ‪#‎sacred‬ ‪#‎thresholds‬." ~John O'Donohue, A Blessing for the Senses, Anam Cara

This brings to mind the Teresa of Avila quote, "Christ has no body but yours," which I usually hear in the context of service. This image, though, makes me wonder about her words in the context of sensing beauty.

--------------------------------

I wanted to preserve this idea, as I, too, tend to see this quote about Christ's body in terms of our hands being the ones to do the work of healing the world--which I usually interpret as feeding the poor, healing the sick, doing social justice and charity work that is so often gritty and dirty.

But what if God needs us to appreciate beauty?  How might my days be different?

And if God counted on us to create beauty?  My days would be different yet again.

No comments: